Untitled

If the Lord delights in a man's way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand. - Ps. 37:23-24

Thursday, December 09, 2004

A Lesson from a Cat

A woman at work today shared how her cat always climbs into boxes under the Christmas tree. On this particular day, the animal walked around inside a box that was too small for it to lay in. The cat was so fat, that is. But as he walked back and forth, he looked up at his owner with pleading eyes, "Can't you do something about this?" Of course, the owner could not. Did the cat want her to make the box bigger just so he could lay down in it??
This little scene reminded me of myself. While I'm not a petowner and do not walk around inside boxes, I think that I am like that cat, at times. Here I am, fattened up on spirituality and religion. I'm walking around my little world, trying to figure out how I can be more comfortable here. I look up at God and wonder why He's not doing anything to help me. But I step back and see that God's desire for me is not to be comfortable where I choose. No, He chooses where I lay my head. Plus, He wants me to be active spiritually, not just consume all I can. I have to "work it out" through obedience. This story has encouraged me to stop whining about my comfyness level. God could enlarge the box, but why? There is more for me than spending my life laying down in a small box. God's "box" for me is not designed for comfort, but for obedience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home